Archive for June 2009
早就想用lemon verbena做这个tartlet了，只是一直没有等到喜欢的水果，现在我最爱的stone fruits正好in season, 怎么可以错过。(我还用cherry做了很多东西，先卖个小关子，嘻~~)
这个tartlet非常简单，不过我超喜欢，lemon verbena infused pastry cream, 预先烤好的塔皮是用PH的sweet tart dough, 很酥脆，尤其里面还加了almond flour, 更香。堆上喜欢的水果，voilà.
Lemon verbena的香味，闻一次就会爱上它，like someone said: If you’ve never rubbed a leaf of lemon verbena, it’s impossible to explain the lovely scent. 有点像清爽的花香气里带着淡淡的柠檬味，哪怕只是摘几片泡茶喝都让人愉悦。不过一定要用新鲜的叶子，干的味道远不及新鲜的来得好闻。
这是另外一天做的Key lime white-chocolate tart，酸酸甜甜的。不过对我来说酸了点，我怕酸。配上whipped crème fraîche稍微好点。跟我想象中的差距蛮大的，虽然有苦甜的巧克力塔皮来中和，不过味道还是太sharp，也许下次做key lime pie看会不会好点。
Lemon verbena pastry cream (adapted from Joy of Cooking)
2 cups milk 牛奶
1/3 cup sugar 糖
2 large egg yolks 蛋黄
1 egg 全蛋
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp cornstarch 玉米淀粉
1/3 cup sugar 糖
2 Tbsp butter 奶油
2 Tbsp rough chopped fresh lemon verbena 新鲜柠檬马鞭草
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 香草精
1. In a heavy saucepan, dissolve sugar in milk and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
2. With a whisk, beat egg yolks and whole egg in a separate, stainless steel bowl.
3. Sift cornstarch and sugar into eggs, whisking until perfectly smooth.
4. Take 1 to 2 Tbsp of of hot milk mixture and whisk into the eggs quickly. Add hot milk, a couple of tablespoons at a time, to egg mixture while whisking until egg mixture is rather warm. Pour egg mixture back into remaining milk/saucepan.
5. Add fresh herbs to saucepan.
6. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Continue whisking and cooking for approximately 45 seconds.
7. Once mixture looks like it is thickening, remove from heat.
8. Pour it through a sieve or fine mesh strainer into a large bowl.
9. Stir in butter until completely blended in.
10. Cover custard with wax or parchment paper – press to surface of custard. Let cool. Then, cover and refrigerate before using, up to 2 days.
You can taste the pastry cream to see if it tastes very starchy before you remove it from the heat. If it does, cook it for 30 seconds longer to reduce the starchy flavor.
夏天—-想想就觉得兴奋, 尤其是水果多得挑花眼, 可以做好多好多甜点, 有没有人像我一样瞎开心的?
把Fava bean入甜点，不得不说Hidemi sugino是个genius. 用Vanilla bean poach fave beans, 来去除豆腥味，再purée加入蛋糕里，增加清香。蛋糕做法和Kumquat pound cake 一样。
P.S: Special thanks to P, for giving me a "hand".
用Brie来做蛋糕，同时加入white chocolate，口感比普通的NY cheesecake要light，但是味道却一样浓郁，真是很奇妙~
提前做好的fleur de sel and hazelnut brittle,放在密封罐里，等蛋糕做好，吃之前摆在上去。要赶快吃掉，不然会化的。
Brie white-chocolate cheesecake (adapted from Pure chocolate)
4 oz white chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
12 oz brie cheese, room temperature, weighed after the rind is removed
3/4 cup suger
5 large eggs, room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Butter a 9inch cake pan. Line bottom with a lightly buttered parchment paper.
3. In double boiler melt the white chocolate. Remove the chocolate when nearly melted and stir until completely smooth. Set aside to cool.
4. Beat the cream cheese at mid-high speed until smooth, about 3 mins. Transfer the cheese from the mixing bowl to another bowl and set aside.
5. In the same bowl, beat Brie on mid-high speed until completely smooth and elastic, about 3 mins.
6. On medium speed, add the cream cheese to the Brie in 3 parts. Blend until smooth. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the sugar.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time. Pour the melted white chocolate in, mix until well blended, smooth, and creamy.
8. Pour into the pan, and wrap outside with foils. Place on a rimmed baking sheet ,add 1/2inch of simmering water.
9. Bake for 1 hour and 15mins, or until the top is lightly golden brown and puffed. Let cool in pan for 2 to 4 hours.